Sparkling Wine and Food Pairings are fun, exciting and can really make a difference when creatively paired properly. Always remember to eat what you like and drink what you love… right? That’s what I like to say, especially to my wine loving readers such as yourselves, because as long as you love it… its a great pairing!
Recently I hosted an event as a preview to my new Pairings section on SommInTheCity. The Savory Side by Somm In The City is food focused bringing you simple and delicious recipes, booze infused recipes, cooking classes, videos and more. This launch is the start of a beautiful transformation not only for Somm In The City (becoming a beverage, events and city focused blog) but The Savory Side will allow you to now not only print recipes and watch how I make my meals, but you can also book in home classes, attend some of my wine and food pairing classes, see where I will be teaching wine and food around NYC, and book me if you are seeking a Private Chef for daily, weekly, or special occasion dinners.
This bubble filled event showcased some fantastic food and wine pairings, and gave top media and press a preview of my top 7 sparkling wine picks with pairings for the upcoming season!
1. Segura Viudas: A Spanish Cava made in the Champagne Style with fragrant aromas of citrus, brioche and salinity. On the palate this wine is bright and balanced with striking minerality, “champagne” qualities, and made for the perfect welcome cava. I chose to greet everyone that attended with a glass of this cava as it’s great as an aperitif but also goes well with food.
* I actually soaked the Caprese Bites (paired with Pere Ventura Cava) in Segura Viudas Cava which gave the dish a fun and vibrant flavor.
2. Côté Mas Crémant de Limoux Rosé Brut: This French sparkling wine by Jean-Claude Mas is simply stunning! Salmon pink, bright and full of strawberries, raspberry and floral notes. On the palate it’s delicate and beautifully balanced.
Pairing: Cabot Sharp Cheddar and Cabot Pepper Jack “French Dip’s”. This improvised version of a French Dip sandwich was perfectly paired with the Rosé. Cabot Cheese is great for those who are lactose intolerant and the wide array of delicious options makes it my top choice for cheese and wine pairings!
3. Jean-Charles Boisset JCB N° 69: This sparkling wine from Burgundy is sexy, stylish, and full of violet and black currants. Black cherry aromas and flavors on the palate make this Pinot Noir Rosé pair-able with Country Ham and Pesto Crostini as well as Dark Chocolate Covered Bacon Bark!
4. Champagne Taittinger La Française & Prestige Rosé: Taittinger is a well known and loved Champagne house that offers some amazing Cuvées. Champagne is one of the most well known and sought after styles of sparkling wine, so it’s no surprise that they were my top choice for this event. Both styles are gorgeous and stunning with bright citrus, mineral, and floral notes. Well balanced and beautiful these Champagnes are a must have for the holidays!
Pairing: Brown Sugar Bacon & Melon Skewers which make the perfect pairing for classic, striking, and beautiful Champagnes such as these.
5. Pere Ventura Tresor Brut Cava: This Cava is another Spanish Sparkling Wine style. Like the welcome cava, this cava by Pere Ventura is beautiful and delicate. Well balanced and mineral driven with bright citrus notes, salinity and grapefruit. This cava makes for the perfect gift for the holidays when you want to gift one of your wine loving friends or family members with something unique and celebratory!
Pairing: Cava Soaked Caprese Bites with Pesto; a great pairing with this delicate and delicious sparkling wine from Spain!
6. Adami Family Brut Prosecco Superiore & Extra Dry: Prosecco had to make the tasting and the Adami family makes some incredible prosecco! This Italian Sparkling Wine style is bright with tropical fruit notes, delicate mousse, and pairs perfectly with almost anything. The Extra Dry makes for a great aperitif, but I decided to whip it into Goat Cheese for another fun wine inspired pairing!
Pairing: Prosecco Whipped Goat Cheese and Proscuitto Wrapped Plums (Recipe) to pair with the Prosecco Superiore!
7. Good In Bed Bubbly: A Washington State Sparkling Wine by Hard Row To Hoe Vineyards. This bubbly is made in the Champagne Style and has crisp yellow apple, brioche and yeast forward notes. On the palate it is full and well balanced offering bright acidity and plenty of pair-able options!
Pairing: Brie stuffed walnut cupcake with vanilla buttercream and chocolate/almond sugar. Blackberry cupcakes topped with “pink prosecco” buttercream.
Because this was also an event to showcase the “sexier” side of sparkling wines, Yolanda Shoshana: clairvoyant and sex/relationship expert talked guests through some fun ways to bring Bubbles into the Bedroom! Paired alongside was Panticakes! Panticakes are cupcake inspired panties that are delivered in the shape and size of a cute little cupcake… just open and unravel the hidden sexiness of this fun and unique gift!